[CentOS] SELinux threads, cynicism, one-upmanship, etc.

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Thu Nov 17 19:06:54 UTC 2005

What I implied, that Brian deleted, is that my product
is in alien hands (some of whom can spell "Linux") and must
pass the muster of the testers who answer to the marketeers
who answer to the stock holders and customers. My product
must fit the hands that work it. NONE of them know
what SELinux is (compared to Linux) and (properly) resent
every extent of my making them learn Linux.  Their day job
has NOTHING to do with learning Linux, let alone SELinux.

Therefore, if SELinux breaks *anything* it gets switched off
and is not part of the product.  If it is a seamless fit, with
no regression, then it can be allowed.  Any self-important
pedant who insists that this bully-boss attribute shall be
catered to will be pedanted off the drilling platform.
Walk home, twit!  Land is only 2 miles away (straight down).

"Ahhh but this is better and it is the future!"  When (if) it
doesn't break my stride, it will become the present.  Until
then it's already history.

This rant/diatribe is for the benefit of people making
"improvements" in a running, deployed, supported
product.

I think, at this point, I'll depart from the debate.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 12:29, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> "Brian T. Brunner" wrote:
> > it is rather one of "to whom are we accountable?"
>
> I'm accountable to myself.
>
> I know I shock people, but if I'm to blame for anything, I'm
> the first to admit it.  I don't hide behind things, and I
> have refused to do things before.  And I've been let go by a
> client for it too.

Accepting the blame remotely isn't quite the same as working
at the same place for a decade or more and having to live
with what you built.  Your rants on the side of security
vs. convenience would be more believable if you added that
you did all of your own work under such conditions and
planned to continue for the foreseeable future.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com