[CentOS] Re: x windows and i810 chipset -- vesa instead of i810 driver?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 18 21:50:12 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
> Which custom mode?  I have a number of old 810/815
> motherboards (that I'm about to retire) in rackmount
> systems and I don't recall encountering any issues on
> the ones that were running X.  What resolution/colour
> depth are you trying to use?

Outside guess?

Run ...
 CentOS 3:  grep -i driver /etc/X11/XF86Config
 CentOS 4:  grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If it says "vesa", then you're kernel framebuffer (vga=mode)
is defining your resolution, not X.

If so, edit the file and replace "vesa" with "i810" and
restart X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace from the X console if running).