[CentOS] Ssh with OS X Tiger (Darwin) and CentOS 4.2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 20 03:32:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 21:24 -0600, Ryan Lum wrote:
> Sorry about being unclear.
>
> The issue is I cannot create an openssh session from an tiger box to and
> centos box.  The ssh connection actually connects because it will go ahead
> and add the id to known_host, however it takes very a long time.  I have
> tested ssh from a xp/putty box and redhat box that lies out side of my
> network.  Odd thing about the whole thing is it worked yesterday.  I talked
> to the admin and he rest bash on the box, and the OS X box was able to
> connect, but it was still quite slow.  After while the lag was long enough
> to timeout again.  Another admin in the datacenter with a mac said he didn't
> have any problems.  Besides recompiling any other ideas?
>
> cow at supercow cow $ssh xxx.xxx.com -l xxx
> The authenticity of host 'xxxx.com (xxx.xxx.xxx)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Warning: Permanently added 'xxxx.com,xxx.xxx.xxx' (RSA) to the list of known
> hosts.
> Connection closed by xxx.xxx.xxx
> cow at supercow cow $ssh -v
> OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
----
user logging in remotely must have a valid shell to be able to do
anything after they connect. If for example, as I normally do, give
users invalid shells such as /bin/false...they could use ssh to connect,
authenticate and get disconnected because they don't have a valid shell.
Are you sure you have a valid shell?

Also - sometimes the initial connection will take some time as the sshd
server will attempt to verify your hostname via dns

You shouldn't have to do any recompiling.

Craig

believed to be clean.