[CentOS] [OT] Message-ID Threading w/Subject Append Example -- WAS: pine rpm for centos 4

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 17:25:26 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> They are realistic about people's use of email.

Or there acceptance of broken software/sites.

I don't complain about the ettique of others.  I don't mind
that they break topics, use poor readers, etc...  I deal with
it.  It's not worth bothering a list about.

In fact, on some lists, I'm even chastized for bottom
posting!  And only a minority of people know that bottom
posting _is_ "good practice" in the history of Internet mail.
 So at what point does "majority ignorance" become "majority
rule"?

Please tell me that -- because there are so many
_conflicting_ "good practices" out there that I can only rely
on what I have known after 16 years on the Internet.

Here's the deal ... it's much easier for me to just do what
they do -- respond and not care about subject, recipients,
editing out/cutting content, use Message-ID honoring mail
readers (Yahoo Mail and Evolution), etc...

But I take the time to do that, for the _benefit_ of SMTP
archives.  It is the same in the case of NNTP readers as
well.  That is the Internet I was taught back in 1989
on-ward, and is not defined by mail readers that top post,
ignore Message-ID, cultivate bad response habits, don't let
you easily cut out quotes, etc...

Of all the things I do that people appreciate -- bottom
posting (which seems to be giving way to more and more top
posting), cutting out excess quotes (even if I replace it
with my own verbage), etc..., understand I at least take the
_time_ to try to apply "good practices."

So I find it pathetic when people want to nitpick on things I
do that are _only_ an issue with _poor_ mail readers.  Or
they want to complain about verbage that someone _else_ might
actually appreciate.  Because in the end, I'm putting forth
the effort to "balance" the "best practices" I know of as a
whole among people who _conflict_ in what they think is
right/wrong.

Which is something I _never_ go out of my way to complain
about with regard to others.  I am not so insensitive that I
feel erked by little practices.  I'd rather focus on the
discussions and questions and help, instead of stopping to
use so-called ettique as a method of just complaining about
someone.

This will be my last post on the matter.