[CentOS] dual head on laptop

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 04:17:37 UTC 2005

On 11/23/05, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/23/05, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Way out:
> > > 1. Connect the projector
> > > 2. Switch to console with Alt+Ctl+F1 (or F2...)
> > > 3. Toggle to projector setting (or shared setting) As you are in text
> > > the projector will beam the command line.
> > > 4. Start another X session by command startx -- :1
> > >
> > > This works for me almost always subject to X resolution being within
> > > power of projector. By experience mostly 1024x768 works.
> > >

> > Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm near a projector.
> >
> > Oops, there must be more to it. When I try 'startx -- :1 on tty2, I
> > get a log of messages from X, none of them errors, but no X screen on
> > tty8 (or ???). This is now a bit <OT>, so if you want to respond in a
> > new thread, that's OK.
>
> startx -- :1
> Watch spaces before and after --
> You can also try startx -- :2
> You do not have to switch to tty8 because as soon as X starts the
> console switches automatically.

Thanks. I couldn't get your suggestion to work, but a little RTFM in
the man pages came up with

'xinit ./second -- :1.0'. This  does the job. ~/second is

#!/bin/sh
xsetroot -solid black &
ooffice sample.xsi

My system (at the moment I'm booted from Ubuntu) doesn't like the
unadorned ':1'. I'll have to verify when I boot CentOS.

Now I just need to find a projector to try this out.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write