[CentOS] A minor beef

Fri Nov 25 02:53:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 18:12 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 13:12 -0700, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On 11/24/05, Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > IMO, this is purely a mechanical problem. Whatever the methods, other
> > FOSS providers manage to avoid this type of erratic delivery. I don't
> > have a clue how. I have no experience setting up or maintaining a
> > system of mirrors.
> >
> > I'm on the fifth attempt this morning to get through about 200
> > packages, and I don't think the results would have been much different
> > if I were trying to sync a local mirror. This isn't even the
> > post-new-update-rush, for $DEITY sake.The first 3 attempts hung
> > totally at retrieving a man update. The next attempt waded through
> > about 80 more packages and then hung. The final attempt is trying many
> > mirrors again and not getting there again.
> >
> > I've changed my mirror settings a few times, but there does not appear
> > to be an ideal solution. Thus my frustration.
> ----
> FWIW - I set up a new system yesterday with CentOS 4.1 disks and of
> course then had to update...it was 192 packages. It took a while - no
> errors.
>
> I then added dag's repository and was able to get what I wanted there.
>
> Dag has told this list that his primary server - heanet is an Apache
> test site which probably accounts for some if not most of the errors
> that I have gotten with it reports errors from his repository such as 0
> sized repomd. When I need to update things of a critical nature, I
> disable dag's repo and can update from CentOS no problem.
>
> Yes, there have been times when it's taken a day or two to get
> everything updated, primarily because of issues with dag repository and
> it's frustrating but I guess I never saw the need to whine about it and
> suspect that others feel the same way.
>
> As has been suggested by others, if you feel the need for reliability,
> you always have the option to create your own mirror and rsync the
> repositories that you use.

There are other Dag mirrors, besides the main one ... specifically here
is the ones I like to use:

baseurl=http://dag.linux.iastate.edu/dag/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag/
http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/dag/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag/