[CentOS] RPM upgrade

Jean Lee jean.lee at free.fr
Fri Nov 25 18:04:28 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have a problem because I don't know how to manage RPMs.

I have a package installed with CentOS which is called "glib-1.2.10-15".
I want now to install a software (not available with CentOS) which
requires glib >= 2.0.

Well, I go then to the GTK site and took the last source tarball
"glib-2.8.4-1.tar.gz". Then I used checkinstall to create the rpm file.
The commands that I used with checkinstall are :
./configure
make
checkinstall (and choose all choices by default)

Well, I now have an rpm file "glib-2.8.4-1.i386.rpm".

And if I do rpm -Uvh glib-2.8.4-1.i386.rpm

The answer is :

error :
libglib.1.2.so.0 is needed by (already installed) gtk+-1.2
libglib.1.2.so.0 is needed by (already installed) some other sofwares
libglib.1.2.so.0 is needed by (already installed) some other softwares
---
libgmodule-1.2.so.0 is needed by (already installed) gtk+-1.2
libgmodule-1.2.so.0 is needed by (already installed) some other sofwares
libgmodule-1.2.so.0 is needed by (already installed) some other sofwares

These files are certainly coming from glib-1.2 package.
Is there a simple way to update this package ?

Because if i try to install gtk+-2.0, it complains about a missing
dependency too.
Can somebody  show me the way which is right under my nose ?

Thank  you,

Jean LEE