[CentOS] Yum / Up2date issues and mirror.centos.org

Tue Nov 29 18:19:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:58 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:04, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > > so my question is..why can't yum deal with a squid proxy running in
> > > transparent mode?..<G>
> > Because a transparent proxy is cheating ... yum has no idea that you are
> > using a proxy.
> That's the point.  You don't need to configure every client.  Why would
> anyone want to?
> > Transparent proxies are not the way proxy servers should
> > be done.
> And the more correct alternative that allows yum to work without
> configuration would be???
> > If you know the IP address and port of your transparent proxy ... and
> > you setup yum to use it properly, it will be no problem.
> It is no problem for browsers either way.  What does yum need that
> browsers don't?
> > If yum is not configured to use a proxy, it assumes that it is making a
> > direct connection.  This is not an unreasonable assumption, and it is
> > quite logical.
> >
> > Transparent proxies should be against the freaking law :)
> Yes, right *after* there is universal agreement on how to auto-configure
> everything that uses http and ftp to use a non-transparent proxy - and
> the matching code gets added everywhere.  Meanwhile things that claim
> to use http should work the same way as browsers.
OR ... maybe one should figure out how to design transparent proxy rules
that somehow test and make sure the agent is a web browser before one
decides to reroute that information.

actually, squid is pretty good ... and it mostly works with yum as a
transparent proxy.

BUT, rerouting stuff with IPTABLES and using transparent proxies does
sometimes cause problems ... and I can't personally define what gets
fixed in either yum or up2date ... as they are both maintained upstream.

I can tell people how they might work around known problems ... which I
have tried to do.