[CentOS] Yum / Up2date issues and mirror.centos.org

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:08:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:20, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> > What I actually do is add the proxy info to the command
> > line so it is exported to yum - and I don't have a
> > transparent proxy,
>
> That's good.  But instead of adding it to the command-line,
> you can put it in the configuration file.

But then it would have to change when I build/update a machine
here and ship it or the disk to another location.

> > Or, I'll ssh to several machines and cut/paste the command
> > line between windows.
>
> God forbid you might have to write a script to automate that
> across your enterprise.  I can hear it now ... "No, no, there
> will be _no_ automated configuration management on my
> network!  I have to justify my job with manually-intensive
> busy work!"  ;->

Actually I just prefer not to break all my machines at once...
It's really not that hard to paste an update command into
several windows or ssh it to the next machine after the
previous one is rebooted and back in the load balancer pools.

> > But, if you had more machines, you'd probably be trying
> > other distributions or versions on them.
>
> Wow!  What a great topic for the CentOS list!  Let's all join
> the bandwagon now ... which distros suck less than CentOS?
> ;->

I'm sure you know as well as anyone that you need to be working
with fedora to know what to expect from the next version of
Centos.  And working with fedora is frustrating enough to make
you try some other distos whenever you have time.

Then there's the k12ltsp and SMEserver variations on the Centos base.

> Sorry, not my bag of tea.  This isn't a YUM issue.  It's a
> greater issue of installation/configuration management when
> you have a large number of systems, and a relatively
> simplistic task when you only have a few.

And it gets ugly when you have lots of machines running an assortment
of different distributions.  Just not quite ugly enough to make it
worth reinstalling just to make it all the same (if that's even possible
due to hardware and application differences) or holding back on new
things.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com