[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Ulrik S. Kofod

usk at cybersite.dk
Wed Nov 30 15:06:08 UTC 2005

I can't choose LILO as boot loader anymore in the install process? And what is the
advantages in GRUP vs. LILO that are so great that LILO has been deleted all
together?

One big disadvantages when forced to use GRUB is that it is a hassle to make the
disks in a RAID1 bootable.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-March/msg05935.html

and RAID1 seems pretty useless when it is the only bootable disk that fails.

can someone come up with a nice one-liner that will make GRUB "global" like LILO is
out-of-the-box ? or is ther a parameter you can give?

I don't know about you but when one of my disks fails I really don't need too many
new check marks to worry about on my to do list.

best regards
Ulrik