[CentOS] Too much memory cache being used while moving large file

Sean O Sullivan seanos at seanos.net
Wed Nov 30 21:00:53 UTC 2005

System :
CentOS 4.2
System fully up-to-date.
3ware 9000S card, with Raid5 array.

I think that's about all relevant info ...

Had file on disk (not array), attempted to mv file to array.
Went fine till 2.4GB was copied, then it slowed down to a meg every few
Free memory was ~50MB (Typically is 1.5-2GB), and cache was 2.5GB.

Stopped the move, however cache not being cleared out -- and this issue
continues to happen - unsure if it was always a problem/known issue, it
does however only occur when copying a single file > 2.4GB (I have
copied 5+GB of 1+GB files in the past without issue).

Also, saw following in dmesg while this was going on:
Out of Memory: Killed process 12467 (mysqld).

I'll be restarting server later on tonight, which will 'fix' immediate
problem, however just curious on thoughts in regards to this.

Sean O Sullivan