[CentOS] Fwd: [Rpm-devel] rpm-4.4.3-0.34 for CentOS3

Fri Nov 4 14:47:39 UTC 2005
James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com>

If anyone would like to help test the latest RPM on Centos 3, heres
your chance.   There are several new features that are not mentioned
in Jeff's email, but as he said he wants to make sure it does no harm
more than anything else.   As an example though, this version
supports:

   - runtime depedency checking (think of being able to have cpan
modules that weren't installed by rpm being detected, or crazy
dependency like requires a particular processor of a particular
stepping).
   - autorollback patches are worked in (this is still in progress and
experimental, but, 4.4.3 will be the first official release of rpm
with the latest autorollback code).

There are other features add also, and of course many fixes.

Cheers and Enjoy...james

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Johnson <jbj at jbj.org>
Date: Nov 3, 2005 5:47 PM
Subject: [Rpm-devel] rpm-4.4.3-0.34 for CentOS3
To: RPM internals development and distro coordination
<rpm-devel at lists.dulug.duke.edu>

I've compiled rpm-4.4.3-0.34 against CenTOS3.

There is a yum repository with the necessary packages at
    http://wraptastic.org/pub/i386-CentOS3-linux/RPMS

Note that these packages are compiled with --with-mutex=UNIX/fcntl.
If you
are wrestling with NPTL issues and rpm databases, then these packages
will
almost certainly help.

Also note that I firmly believe that NPTL -- with unified thread and
process locks --
is the best and most general choice for rpmdb locking.

There are still uses for fcntl locking with, say, build trees for -
NPTL legacy
linux systesm, like rpmforge, and perhaps others, are doing, where
fcntl locking is a
far saner choice than posix mutexes because of the mixed +/-NPTL
environment.

Any/all help checking the CentOS3 rpm-4.4.3-0.34 is appreciated. I'm
mainly
interested in verifying
       rpm-4.4.3-0.34 does no harm.
on CentOS3 (and RHL9) rather than testing of new features.

Report bugs (and successes please ;-) at http://bugzilla.redhat.com
or here
on rpm-devel list.

Enjoy!