[CentOS] samba windows 2000 and windows 2003

Wed Nov 23 22:35:07 UTC 2005
Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>

Dear All,

I have two AD domains, one running on Windows 2000 and one running on
Windows 2003. Each with XP clients, and no trust.

Ihave a linux file server running samba 3 on Centos 4.2, the smb.conf
file specifies that security=server, and points the password server to
the operations master on the Windows 2000 domain.

All clients and 2000 servers on the Windows 2000 domain, (xp or
otherwise) can access the smb shares on the linux box no problem.

The windows 2003 server and XP clients on that domain cannot,  first
time round they receive the error "The request is not supported", after
adding this:

client signing = auto

to my smb.conf file I get the error  "the filename, directory name or
volume label syntax is incorrect."

I tried disabling packet signing on the win2k3 box group policy - it
made no difference.

I disconnect the linux server from using the windows 2000 server as a
password server and setup up separate smb accounts and it works fine
from the win2k3 box.

I believe this is something to do with packet signing but just cant seem
to find out the problem.  I fixed this on a previous linux server the
other way round (mounting 2k3 on Linux, but can't remember how I did
it),  I note that that server has a /proc/fs/cifs directory where I can
kill packet signing, but the new server with the current problem does
not.  However I don't recall installing cifs nor does it seem to be on
the older server.

Any ideas?

Pete