[CentOS] A BIG Thank You

Fri Nov 4 16:41:02 UTC 2005
Pasi Pirhonen <upi at iki.fi>

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 07:09:11AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 20:41 +0200, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
>
> The biggest problem we have had during the last (2) CentOS-4 update
> cycles is being able to handle the distribution load.  That is were we
> can use some major help :)
>
> Donations of large space (>200gb), fast connected (100mbit/1gbit to the
> internet), unlimited bandwith (we served 24TB last 3 weeks) servers that
> we can control would help the cause a great deal.
>
> If you have a machine like that donate (especially Hosting Providers and
> ISPs who are using a free enterprise level distro now in CentOS) please
> see:

Yeap. I did mention this briefly myself too, but as i really don't do
that part of project, i am not so sure about details myself (unless i
ask Johnny or Lance etc.).

Sadly i'd have few extra Sun A1000 with 12x18GB disks just laying
around as stack which would be quite kickass boxes still to really push
stuff out of the pipe. Then again i'd see the pipe needing to be at
Finland for me being able to make things better on hardware side.

The really sad part is that those are too much heat for me normally
only for some 180GB/box of space :)

It's quite funny that when things get 'more popular', it's first the
distribution that doesn't scale up. Actually the work with distro
doesn't change at all. It's very same amount of work on release even if
there is 1 user or 1 million users.

Shortly: i have to agree 100% with Jonny. We're in serious troubles
with the network distribution and it seems to be worse now than it was
with U1, so U3 ....

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/