[CentOS] SCSI cards

Sun Nov 6 16:56:09 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 11:07 +0000, Denis Croombs wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to find a good PCI 64 SSI 320 raid controller to
> use with Centos & 4 10k drives as raid 1 & 0 to get the best
> I/O speed, any clues as to what people have found to be the best.

If you want a non-blocking, high-performance RAID stripe/mirror stream,
I would highly recommend ATA protocol instead of SCSI.  SCSI adds
unnecessary overhead.

If you're going for minimum latency, then go for Western Digital Raptor
10K SATA drives.  They roll of the same assembly line as Hitachi's 10K
U320 drives.

If you're going for maximum DTR, then go for the higher capacity SATA
drives, such as Seagate's 24x7 rated NL35 (near-line enterprise) series.

And in all those cases, I recommend 3Ware Escalade 8506 series cards
with their non-block ASIC+SRAM design.  Depending on how much
performance you need, two cards on two different PCI-X channels would be
most ideal.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com