[CentOS] openssh port forward in centos 4

Sun Nov 6 19:24:03 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 11/6/05, Erick Perez <eaperezh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I use putty in my windows xp machine. ssh server in a centos 4.
> The centos 4 machine runs a web server that listens on port 1812, the
> centos machine is behind a firewall that allows tcp 22 connections
> only. I am on public internet.
>
> Can I forward/redirect/allow my web browser in windows to "see" the
> web page in port 1812 of the centos machine via the SSH connection?

Use use ssh -D to create a tunneled socks proxy.

set up a dynamic proxy in putty on port 3333 (can be anything over
1024 really ) then instruct your browser to use a socks proxy on
localhost 3333. Most browsers try to prevent tunneling localhost
traffic for websites, so you'll have to make sure that's not enabled.
then point your browser to locahost:1812 and it'll work just fine.