[CentOS] other repositories question

Sun Nov 6 23:20:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 00:14 +0100, dan1 wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I would like to know how other repositories than the official ones for
> CentOS 4 affect an update of a package if a package is present in both
> repositories.
> Will yum install the package that it finds having the highest version
> number ? and if so, is there a mean to tell yum that we would like to
> keep the preference to one repository instead of the highest version
> number on a possibly other repository ?
>
> I ask that because I realise that having multiple repositories added
> to yum might mix up things if the packages placed there are compiled
> for newer versions, and even possibly create another system than
> CentOS by updating several main common packages. That would do
> something between a CentOS and a cAos distribution, is that right ?

Yes, if you have a newer version in a repository and you add that full
repo, the newest version will get installed.

But with yum > 2.2.x there is a feature called "includepkgs="

> For example, I would like to use Dag Wieers' repos, but I am in fear
> that some mix up might happen if there are several same packages with
> different versions than the official CentOS ones (and is it possible
> to have same packages there? ).

With "includepkgs=" you can make an entry like this in the definition
for the Dag repo:

includepkgs=rsync iptraf

It would then only look at rsync and iptraf from dags repo

See this link for an in depth review of yum:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/index.html