[CentOS] Re: ATA-over-Ethernet v's iSCSI -- CORAID is NOT SAN, also check multi-target SAS

Tue Nov 8 16:04:54 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org> wrote:
> Exactly, that was what got myself confused too.  SAN
> doesn't provide "safe" concurent access to device by
> itself,

Agreed.  But it does provide the ability for multiple hosts
to target the same space, and handle _some_ that coherency on
the storage end.  That doesn't replace what needs to go on
the host-end, but it can work in conjunction with it.

According to those I spoke to at CORAID, you could not have 2
systems accessing the same space.  If you try to access space
while it believes another is accessing it (such as a failed
node), it won't work.

If this has now changed, please let me know.  But the last
time I discussed this, they did not implement certain
features that you will find in multi-targettable SCSI, iSCSI
and FC solutions.

They expect 100% host-side resolution of everything.  E.g.,
there is a reason why SCSI-2 (SCSI/SAS), TCP (iSCSI), etc...
is "safer" than Ethernet -- there are acknowledgements.  With
CORAID's solution, the hosts have to do extra checking to
confirm buffers have been written, etc..., and it's not
exactly fool-proof -- unlike SCSI-2, TCP, etc...

AoE does not address many of these issues from what I read
just a few months ago.  Things that SCSI-2 and TCP do!

> you need to have cluster-aware file system running on
> top of it.

Of course.  I never argued otherwise.  I merely stated that
the more you can address at the target, the less the host and
the more efficient, higher-performance and "safer" the
clustering can be.

>From all the _lack_ of features in AoE, it doesn't leave me
with a warm'n fuzzy feeling.  Every single rep I spoke to
basically said consider AoE little better than Oracle's
FireWire hack.  They recommended I _never_ have 2 system use
the same area, not even in a cluster setup, if I wanted
SCSI/iSCSI/FC like switchover.

> With SAN, one would always configure zones (on the switch)
> and/or LUN masking (on storage device) to prevent clients
> fighting for the storage and corrupting data.

And the CORAID does that too.

But at the same time, most multi-targettable SCSI/SAN
solutions define various functions to ensure acknowledgement
of buffer commits to disk, watchdog services to check if a
node is no longer accessing the area (freeing up the lock so
the failover system can mount read/write), etc...  Others
offer multiple read mounts to the same area from multiple
systems, etc...

There is just a _darth_ of features in CORAID's protocol
versus SCSI-2, TCP, etc... IMHO.  Those drastically affect
the ability to do "well designed clustering/fail-over" IMHO.
If you press the CORAID people on them, they'll admit areas
where they are deficient as a storage solution for a
fail-over cluster.

As I said before, it's almost as bad as using Oracle's
FireWire hack.  It isn't anything like a typical SAN designed
for fail-over as a target from multiple-hosts.

> NAS offers safe concurent access (generally, there might be
> some NAS devices outthere that do not).  NAS device will
> manage file system internally, and export it over NFS or
> SMB protocols to the clients.

Such NAS' are a combined host+storage aka "filer."  They have
many advantages over SAN -- especially in their fail-over
and/or load-balancing capabilities.

> It's going to be slower and less efficient than SAN device
> though (because of the upper protocol overhead),

Oh, it all depends on the design of the NAS.  NetApp does a
pretty damn fine job with their designs (long story).

> and the set of features offered by file system might not
> be what would be available if file system was managed by
> client's operating system itself.

But there's many other benefits.  But that is a larger
discussion.

All I wanted people to know is that AoE doesn't have a lot of
features you'll find in SCSI-2, TCP, etc... when it comes to
using it as a fail-over storage solution.  I would highly
recommend you not use it as such.