[CentOS] Restart after crash

Thu Nov 10 01:38:41 UTC 2005
Syv Ritch <centos at 911networks.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 16:56, Syv Ritch wrote:
>

>>Is it possible do have fsck to run automatically [without
>>operator intervention], if it was not a clean shutdown.
>>
>>Right now, somebody has to bring a monitor & keyboard and say Y,
>>if not it will not run and verify the drive. This is for remote
>>headless servers.
>

> Do you have some reason to think it is better to run a full fsck
> than to replay the journal?  I thought that was the point of using
> a journalled  filesystem.

Q: If a system shutdown hard, even with journaling is it at all
necessary to run e2fsck?

Theodore Ts'o, the ext2 developer, said:

It's best to just always run e2fsck. [...]
E2fsck will run the journal automatically, and if the filesystem
is otherwise clean, it skip doing a full filesystem check.
If the filesystem is not clean (because during the previous run
the kernel noticed some filesystem inconsistencies), e2fsck will
automatically do a full check if it is necessary.
If you have multiple disks, fsck will run multiple e2fsck
processes in parallel, thus speeding up your boot sequence than
if you let the kernel replay the journal for each filesystem when
it tries to mount it, since then the journal replays will be done
sequentially, instead of in parallel.

http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html

--
Thanks