[CentOS] selinux stuff - I just don't get

Mon Nov 14 11:20:04 UTC 2005
Giovanni P. Tirloni <gpt at tirloni.org>

Tony wrote:
  > It always amazes me how quick people are to suggest that you just
switch
> selinux off, without balancing the suggestion with an explanation of
> what they are losing by doing this. Would you switch a firewall off
> because it keeps filling your log files up with packet info?  An English
> expression involving babies and bathwater springs to mind ;-)

  Not to turn this into a flamewar but I'd like to mention that for
someone who has always lived with SELinux it brings no advantage to keep
it on _and_ causing problems. Specially when you still didn't have time
to read carefully how SELinux is going to really help you (besides
breaking things).

  I'm all for SELinux.. just not it's deployment without planning.
That's why I've inclued a URL to the unofficial SELinux FAQ, so he could
disable it but read about what it was later.

--
Giovanni P. Tirloni
http://blog.tirloni.org