[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Tue Nov 15 21:29:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 13:14 -0800, Michael Rock wrote:
> > Ok guys ... this is ONLY an issue IF you have
> > caching-nameserver AND
> > bind installed ... and if you used the named.conf
> > from caching-
> > nameserver.
> >
> > RH says to NOT install caching-nameserver and a real
> > name server on the
> > same machine ...
> >

> Excuse my ignorance on this subject, been looking for
> a link that explains the policy and why?  Right now I
> have primary and secondary name servers hosting many
> domains and web server applications that need to
> resolve DNS from these servers.  Then I have a handful
> of workstations that use these servers for regular DNS
> queries.
>
> This will be significant work/expense and to find
> space for it just to separate the caching name server
> to a separate box just so the stations can have DNS
> queries.
>
> Been doing it this way for years without a problem, so
> any info you can pass on.

A real name server doesn't also need caching-nameserver installed ... it
will lookup zones it doesn't control.

caching-nameserver is what you would install if you didn't need to
control any domains and wanted a local DNS server.

caching-nameserver is just bind and some config files that don't have
any zones in the named.conf file

If you install caching-nameserver you are saying that you want a DNS
machine that doesn't control zones.

If you remove the package caching-nameserver, it will save your
named.custom and named.conf files as rpmsave files ... just move them
back into place afterwards and leave caching-nameserver removed.