[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Tue Nov 15 21:37:43 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 15:14, Michael Rock wrote:

> > RH says to NOT install caching-nameserver and a real
> > name server on the
> > same machine ...
> >

> Excuse my ignorance on this subject, been looking for
> a link that explains the policy and why?  Right now I
> have primary and secondary name servers hosting many
> domains and web server applications that need to
> resolve DNS from these servers.  Then I have a handful
> of workstations that use these servers for regular DNS
> queries.
>
> This will be significant work/expense and to find
> space for it just to separate the caching name server
> to a separate box just so the stations can have DNS
> queries.

The normal bind will resolve and cache any domains where
it isn't configured as a primary or slave server.  You
don't need a separate caching-nameserver installed for that.
You would use the caching-nameserver package only when
you don't have any local zones and don't need any local
config changes.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com