[CentOS] Turning root partition into a RAID array **THEBACKGROUND**

Wed Nov 16 07:41:59 UTC 2005
Nigel kendrick <support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk>

>If it was me (and it isn't), I probably would have set up the 3 disks in a
RAID5 array.  That way, you can lose one disk and the system still hums
along until you can replace the failed disk.

That was considered at the time but we found that any combination of
mirroring using the motherboard-based controller and the plugged in one
wasn't stable (unbootable or soon locked-up) - the only way we could get
mirroring to work was if both drives were on the 8212-based controller. Time
and budget were against us at the time we were building the original system,
but later work with CentOS4 and that controller on other systems was much
more successful.