[CentOS] Custom kernel RPM/SRPM

Thu Nov 17 18:14:43 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

"Hilliard, Jay" <Jay.Hilliard at disney.com> wrote:
> I believe a -bb first removes ./BUILD/kernel-....

Actually, you're correct.  The "-bb" will redo the "-bp" step
as well.  I can't remember the command to start after where
"-bp" left off -- I think it's an option to "-bb".

I don't do this myself, because I _always_ do what you
describe next -- I add patch files and change the SPEC file
so I have _all_ changes documented/repeatable.

> I currently have about 6 patches in the Enterprise kernel
> that are absolutely necessary, else I couldn't use it, so I

> disagree with the idea of "Don't do it"

Patching is one thing.  If you take the time to modify the
SPEC and integrate your patches, where required, that's
proper.

It's just to be avoided if you can help it -- if you aren't
merely adding drivers, but changing subsystem code.