[CentOS] SELinux threads, cynicism, one-upmanship, etc.

Mon Nov 21 16:10:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 15:38 +0000, Peter Farrow wrote:
> furthermore from Hughsjr:
>
> >I disagree ... to me enabled by default would be like the core and base
> > >default packages .... they are turned on, and one can not turn them off.
> > >They are enabled by default, whether you need them or not.
>
> ummm, err, that would be "mandatory" then and not "default"
>
> Thats another nail in the coffin, tighter in the corner, up to your chin
> in it now I reckon....

ok, I'm wrong :)

SELinux, the Firewall, all package selection, auto disk druid
formatting, LVM2 and any other check box are all enabled by default.

It's not worth fighting over.

To me, "Enabled by default" means you get it whether you want it or
not ...  and "Recommended" or "Selected" by default means you can
choose, and bear all the responsibility for that choice.

Obviously I am completely ignorant of the nuances of the English
language ... heck, my wife tells me I can't communicate all the time :)

I do not agree that SELinux is Beta quality ... nor would RedHat.  It
does cause issues if not properly configured, as does iptables, or any
other package which requires configuring.

I think we can all agree that CentOS follows the upstream provider in
this (and almost all) instances.