[CentOS] 32 bits software on 64 bits CentOS core

Tue Nov 22 15:33:14 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Alex Yuner <el_yuner2000 at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hello to everybody, it´s possible run 32 bits program on a
> 64 bits CentOS core??

I've answered this enough times that I blogged it a few weeks
back:

http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-x86-64-long-mode-memory-model.html

That should answer any question(s) you might have.

If you really don't feel like reading my verbage, then note
this ...

  '48-bit "flat" programs cannot call 32-bit "flat" libraries
   and vice-versa. It's not the kernel, but the way programs
   talk to each other. Outside of the kernel, if an OS ships
   with 48-bit libraries, then they cannot be used by 32-bit
   programs. Therefore, some x86-64 OSes only ship with a
PAE52
   kernel, but still offer largely 32-bit libraries and
   programs, with a few 48-bit exceptions.'

An x86-64 version of a Linux distro is a PAE52/48-bit "flat"
kernel that can also run PAE36/32-bit programs, but those
PAE36/32-bit programs _still_ require PAE36/32-bit libraries,
plug-ins, etc...  Some are included, and others can be added
if needbe, although there can be administrative
issues/overhead.