[CentOS] [OT] Message-ID Threading w/Subject Append Example --WAS: pine rpm for centos 4

Tue Nov 22 16:45:53 UTC 2005
Brian T. Brunner <brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com>

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> jlb17 at duke.edu 11/22/05 11:29AM >>>
\begin{sotto voce}
I can't believe I'm jumping into a thread like this.
\end{sotto voce}

***I can.

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 at 10:23am, Les Mikesell wrote

> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 09:52, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>>> Not all mail/news readers track exclusevly via Message-ID,
>>> References and In-Reply-To headers.
>>
>> So in other words, they decide to snub decades of Internet
>> standards.
>
> They are realistic about people's use of email.  They hit
> reply/reply-all to reply to the sender/group, not necessarily
> to the content of the previous message, and they change
> the subject line when it isn't relevant and they are changing

Ah, so we ignore established standards based on users' stupidity.  Good
idea.

*** The World Famous "Are You Sure" could/should ask these SU's,
***when the change the subject line in any way, whether they intend
***to make a new thread of just change the subject in the current thread.

> the topic.  Please resume this argument when you have taught
> the rest of the world the value of the headers they can't

Threading that *works* is the value that users would notice.
***Threading that *works* is the value that users would notice.

> see and some way to get the address list from a message
> without making an irrelevant In-Repy-To:.

Yeah, because address books are *so* hard to use.

I'm sorry, but making decisions based on Stupid User Tricks is about the
worst policy I can imagine.  That way lies madness.

***Or worse, imitates the Congress of the United States.

*** My vote's with Bryan & Joshua... if only it counted...

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated