[CentOS] [OT] Message-ID Threading w/Subject Append Example -- WAS: pine rpm for centos 4

Wed Nov 23 17:36:01 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 10:16 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:29:00 -0500 (EST), Joshua Baker-LePain
> <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, but making decisions based on Stupid User Tricks is about
> > the worst policy I can imagine.  That way lies madness.
>
> No, where lies madness is in the self-centred way in which some
> people make demands of others to alter innocuous behaviour so that
> the data requirements of some MUA or other, that may or may not
> support generally accepted conventions , that may or may not be
> suitably configured, might be satisfied.
>
> I read mailing lists as digests.  Message threading is of no use to
> me outside of threaded web archives, that I seldom use in such
> fashion.  Neither is the subject content of much significance
> beyond keying me as to whether some section of a digest may be of
> particular interest.  This is not to say that these features have
> no value, only that my circumstances realize little any from them.
> However, I have been taken to task nonetheless, because my personal
> preferences do not meet with the approval of some.  It is this
> presumption that irritates me.
>
> I am not a member of this list simply to ease the administrative
> burdens that some people create for themselves.  I seek information
> and informed opinion on technical issues related to the equipment I
> am responsible for and the vocation I profess, not quasi-religious
> debates on the morality of certain widely held but hardly universal
> conventions.  I sometimes (rarely) am in the possession of a piece
> of information that may prove helpful to another, and so I offer on
> occasion. However, in the main this list is my way of reaching
> beyond my own ignorance.  Usually I am in the position of
> supplicant and I have found the people on this list generally as
> helpful and usually as well informed as other lists that I
> frequent.
>
> But I am concerned about the general tenor of some of the
> discussions here and how these may lead to ill-feeling in some and
> a disinclination to actively participate in others.  We are all
> infinitely ignorant, it is just that some of us possess a
> predisposition to stay within that which we find familiar and
> others find it easier to take adventures.
>
> Neither tendency is good or bad, they are just personal
> preferences.  It would be more comfortable for the list membership,
> and improve the decorum of the messages considerably, if people
> from one camp or the other, and the many of us that straddle both
> albeit on different issues, displayed a willingness to accommodate
> the other side and recognize that there are many important reasons,
> not all of which we may agree with, why someone chooses to do
> things a certain way.
>
> Complaining about people's email habits, particularly in public,
> where the content is not the issue strikes me as pointless, self-
> indulgent in the extreme, and reflects most poorly on the
> personality of the complainant.
----
as someone who has attempted to solve problems by searching the
archives, let me assure you that the value of threaded posts/replies
makes this a usable method. When the threads are broken, it becomes
impossible to trace through an issue and it's solution.

Just a thought for your consideration. I'm not going to comment on any
other issues that you raise.

Craig

believed to be clean.