[CentOS] A minor beef

Thu Nov 24 21:47:28 UTC 2005
Lee W <lee at unassemble.co.uk>

Collins Richey wrote:

>2. The local mirror and sync process is certainly an approach if you
>have the patience (or the right parameters? I have no experience) to
>keep retrying until you eventually get past the stuck point. Also, I
>don't have a lot of machines to maintain, and this is only an
>occasional pain. It's only a real pain when I let a machine (like my
>laptop) get very back level on maintenance

I also don't have very many machines to maintain but I do tend to fiddle
and muck around a lot so having a local mirror, stops me from killing
the main servers everytime I do a reinstall.  In my case there is often
4-5 centos machines running in VMWare whilst I test various stuff.

It only took me about 1/2 an hour to figure out how to rsync with a
local mirror and I have never used rsync before.  I have copied the
command I use to only sync Centos 4, but it may give you a start, I'm
guessing some of the more experienced people could come up with a more
optimised command line, but this seems to work for me (about 4.5Gb in
total):-

rsync -azH -vv --exclude */*/ia64/ --exclude */*/ppc/ --exclude
*/*/s390/ --exclude */*/s390x/ --exclude */*/alpha/ --exclude
*/*/x86_64/ --exclude *.iso --exclude isos/ --exclude /2/ --exclude
/2.*/ --exclude /3.*/ --exclude /4.0/ --exclude /4.1/ --exclude
*/addons/ --exclude */contrib/ --exclude */centosplus/ --exclude
*/extras/ --delete rsync.sunsite.org.uk::sites/msync.centos.org/CentOS/
/mirrors/centos

Since running the local mirror I have had no problems with updating.
Before I had lots due to my ISP running a transparent proxy, this
problem I believe is documented on the YUM website.

Lee