[CentOS] A minor beef

Fri Nov 25 01:12:15 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 13:12 -0700, Collins Richey wrote:
> On 11/24/05, Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> IMO, this is purely a mechanical problem. Whatever the methods, other
> FOSS providers manage to avoid this type of erratic delivery. I don't
> have a clue how. I have no experience setting up or maintaining a
> system of mirrors.
>
> I'm on the fifth attempt this morning to get through about 200
> packages, and I don't think the results would have been much different
> if I were trying to sync a local mirror. This isn't even the
> post-new-update-rush, for $DEITY sake.The first 3 attempts hung
> totally at retrieving a man update. The next attempt waded through
> about 80 more packages and then hung. The final attempt is trying many
> mirrors again and not getting there again.
>
> I've changed my mirror settings a few times, but there does not appear
> to be an ideal solution. Thus my frustration.
----
FWIW - I set up a new system yesterday with CentOS 4.1 disks and of
course then had to update...it was 192 packages. It took a while - no
errors.

I then added dag's repository and was able to get what I wanted there.

Dag has told this list that his primary server - heanet is an Apache
test site which probably accounts for some if not most of the errors
that I have gotten with it reports errors from his repository such as 0
sized repomd. When I need to update things of a critical nature, I
disable dag's repo and can update from CentOS no problem.

Yes, there have been times when it's taken a day or two to get
everything updated, primarily because of issues with dag repository and
it's frustrating but I guess I never saw the need to whine about it and
suspect that others feel the same way.

As has been suggested by others, if you feel the need for reliability,
you always have the option to create your own mirror and rsync the
repositories that you use.

Craig

believed to be clean.