[CentOS] Video Recording

Sun Nov 27 07:14:18 UTC 2005
Ajay Sharma <ssharma at revsharecorp.com>

Lee W wrote:

> I would like to record some training/advertising videos, in a similar
> format to those offered by CBT Nuggets (and others). Essentially this
> means I need to be able grab real video (e.g. webcam or DV camcorder,
> etc) as well as what is on the computer screen (VNC Recorder maybe) and
> audio.
>
> In terms of output I would like it to be in Ogg Theora format as these
> seems to be supported both on Linux & Windows (though media player
> plugins), it is also an open standard which beats all the other
> available formats.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for such a program, even if it is suite
> of different programs.  My google/freshmeat search results have so far
> been not very useful.

get a Hauppauge PVR-150 card, load up the ivtv drivers (ivtvdriver.org),
plug in your source video via svideo and then you can do a simple:

cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg

And out comes a valid MPEG-2 encoded file.  You can use the ivtvctl
program to change the resolution and bitrate of the captured video.
After you have the video, converting it into Ogg Theora shouldn't be an
issue.

Oh, and the CPU usage is tiny so you can capture several streams with
multiple PVR-150 cards in a decent desktop box.

--Ajay