[CentOS] A minor beef

Tue Nov 29 14:42:56 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 03:09, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> The _context_ of this _entire_ thread is about what CentOS can and
> cannot redistribute, which leads to the reason why you have to use DAG
> or any other repository, which leads to added issues with updates aka
> "repository hell", etc...  9 times out of 10, when I have an update
> issue, it is a conflict between 2 or more repositories I did _not_ know
> about (and it is not quickly

Part of this could be fixed if the third party repositories would
make the effort to split items that do/don't replace core components.
There are some packages that require updated libraries or versions
compiled with non-standard options, but that doesn't apply to
anything mentioned so far.   A third party repository could work
like livna does for fedora, requiring the stock core/extras to
also be used for dependencies instead of replacing any stock
libraries with potentially incompatible versions.   If the apps
that actually require conflicting libraries were split out to
a different repository you could avoid them unless you were willing
to take the risk.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com