[CentOS] Yum / Up2date issues and mirror.centos.org

Tue Nov 29 17:04:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:46 -0500, William Warren wrote:
> so my question is..why can't yum deal with a squid proxy running in
> transparent mode?..<G>
Because a transparent proxy is cheating ... yum has no idea that you are
using a proxy.  Transparent proxies are not the way proxy servers should
be done.

If you know the IP address and port of your transparent proxy ... and
you setup yum to use it properly, it will be no problem.

If yum is not configured to use a proxy, it assumes that it is making a
direct connection.  This is not an unreasonable assumption, and it is
quite logical.

Transparent proxies should be against the freaking law :)