[CentOS] Yum / Up2date issues and mirror.centos.org

Tue Nov 29 21:20:45 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I actually do is add the proxy info to the command
> line so it is exported to yum - and I don't have a
> transparent proxy,

That's good.  But instead of adding it to the command-line,
you can put it in the configuration file.

> I just do it to make all the machines use the same cache
> which I've configured to store large files.

Mirroring would be quite a bit more effective, more exacting
and far, far less error-prone to transmission issues.

> I update often enough that I can nearly always recall the
> command line from history with ^r3128 (the squid port).

God forbid you might have write a script that ... gasp ...
retrieves the latest proxy info -- let alone from an
automatic proxy URL.  ;->

> Or, I'll ssh to several machines and cut/paste the command
> line between windows.

God forbid you might have to write a script to automate that
across your enterprise.  I can hear it now ... "No, no, there
will be _no_ automated configuration management on my
network!  I have to justify my job with manually-intensive
busy work!"  ;->

> But, if you had more machines, you'd probably be trying
> other distributions or versions on them.

Wow!  What a great topic for the CentOS list!  Let's all join
the bandwagon now ... which distros suck less than CentOS?
;->

Sorry, not my bag of tea.  This isn't a YUM issue.  It's a
greater issue of installation/configuration management when
you have a large number of systems, and a relatively
simplistic task when you only have a few.