[CentOS] CentOS mailserver and spam filter setup ideas &preferences

Wed Nov 30 16:41:49 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 11/30/05, Robert <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> }
> } Ugh.. qmail. I'll refrain from spitting up too much hate about the DJB
> } way of doing things here and just say "it's a functional product, but
> } his way is not the right way"
> }
> } There are some excellent mail setup guides located at
> } http://www.hughesjr.com/content/category/1/14/30/Guides
> }
> } They're quite good, and cover everything from intial setup to webmail
> } to filtering. Well worth the read.
> } Jim Perrin
>
> thanks for input!!!
>
> having built many mailservers i will be ok in general yet what i am really
> looking for now is how is everyone here filtering "spam in languages other
> than English"... most of the spam i get is in Spanish.
>
> i am having a hard time finding it googling (other than Bayesian filters)
> and i just need some searching help or direction to find so i can study up
> please?
>
> and thing is, ummmm im willing to use sendmail yet i want my customers to be
> able to admin their own virtual mailservers with a web interface... what is
> everyone using there??? sendmail and ??? or qmail and ???

I find postfix to be quite sexy, but I don't do much in the way of
virtual hosting. Postfix in the centosplus repository has support for
mysql, and should be what you're looking for but I don't have much
detail for you. Postfix is easier to set up than sendmail, and
requires less upkeep than qmail (no building it, no patching it, no
wondering where the hell djb thinks mail files should go since he's
too good for standard locations), not to mention that postfix is
provided with the distro, so you'll get updates when they happen, not
when you notice them and rebuild.

Just my $0.02

--
Jim Perrin