[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Wed Nov 30 17:31:28 UTC 2005
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Ulrik S. Kofod wrote on Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:51:44 +0100 (CET):

> And I still
> havent seen an answer to why grub is so great, to me it seems like it doesn't really
> work as booting pretty much is the main attaction in boot loaders.

The latest grub (which is *not* part of CentoS 4.2) has some pretty interesting
features, f.i. recovering from boot failures. Don't know if lilo provides the same.
Also, you have to run lilo after each kernel upgrade which isn't necessary for grub. I
agree that grub should handle RAID better and do the installation on all disks for you
automatically.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany