[CentOS] Recommendation(s)

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Sat Oct 1 18:28:07 UTC 2005

As far as I know Les, the 2.3.3 does exist, but not under RH, Centos or
the "big 3" for that matter.  I recall seeing a few rpm pkgs for some
distros I've never heard of.  As for it being exactly what is needed, I
can't say anything for sure, other than what the runtime error prints
out.  I've looked in the librt.so.1, and it does in fact have an
external call to 2.3.3, but beyond that, I dunno.  It could well be a
compiler error too.  Many of the folks who have had success building and
running WRF are doing so under an earlier version of the PG compiler, I
think pre-6.0.  Since I don't own the portland group compiler, just
using the trial version, I'm not entitled to any support from them, and
as I stated earlier, there has been little to no discussion about late
date versions of Linux.  The other thing that is secondary to the WRF
build is some fortran utilities and one shared object file that will not
build under the x86-64 due to some relocation issues.  I think all the
code that I'm attempting to build/run was pretty well tested out on the
i386 versions of several OS', but primarily RH3.

On another note, I do have folks that have sent me some configuration
files for the MM5 model running under the x86-64 RH distro, and they all
say it really kicks ass compared to the 32-bit builds, but that is
again, using an earlier version of the Intel compiler and earlier code
to boot.  I'm not one to stay on the bleeding edge of things, but I
figured there would not be too much change from 3 to 4, but I'm finding
out different.  As for the actual 2.3.3 library, I don't know if it will
be in the 3.5 distro of Centos or not, but its worth a try.

--
Snowman