[CentOS] Lost my menu options again - KDE messes with Gnome?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Oct 2 13:07:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 21:42 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> This was a problem I had a while back. I lost the "Preferences" menu
> item in my "Applications" menu in Gnome. After much discussion, the
> following commands got my "Preferences" menu item back, along with all
> the applications inside of it:
> rpm -e redhat-artwork redhat-menus --nodeps --allmatches
> yum install redhat-artwork redhat-menus
> But...
> For some reason it isn't working this time. My "Preferences" option in my application menu is gone, and I don't even know why it left. And doing the commands above aren't getting them back.
> Actually, I have some suspicion as to why I've lost my "Preferences" option in my "Applications" menu. Last time this happened, it happened after I installed Amarok and ended up with a bunch of KDE settings I didn't want.
> This time, I installed Quanta, which required some KDE libraries, but it didn't seem to cause as much chaos as last time.
> However, the implications are that for some reason, having any KDE programs seems to affect my Gnome options.
> What's up with that?
having KDE programs installed such as Quanta don't bother my system or
my Gnome menus and I don't think your cause/effect analysis is accurate.

Suggest that you logout, grab a root shell, move your ~/.gnome2 to
~/.gnome2-bak and log back in. This should reset the gnome settings back
to defaults but I am not knowledgeable about how/where things gnome are
stored. You might want to move specific program settings back from the
backup folder you created.

believed to be clean.