[CentOS] Lost my menu options again - KDE messes with Gnome?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Oct 3 13:25:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:53 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > Suggest that you logout, grab a root shell, move your ~/.gnome2 to
> > ~/.gnome2-bak and log back in. This should reset the gnome settings back
> > to defaults but I am not knowledgeable about how/where things gnome are
> > stored. You might want to move specific program settings back from the
> > backup folder you created.
> Unfortunately, that yielded no results.
> I noticed when I logged into the root account, also in Gnome, and which
> should already be in default mode as I've never made any adjustments to
> it, is also missing the "Preferences" menu item in the Applications bar.
> So it would seem it's not a matter of individual user settings, but
> something more general.
indeed - it would seem that way.

You should never login to GUI as root. Never as in not ever.

If you want to test your theory as more general, create a new user and
log in as that user (you can delete the user and his files/home
directory easily, later).

If that new user doesn't have a Preferences Menu, then yes, I would
agree that it is something more general that has impacted the menu

believed to be clean.