[CentOS] memory leak in Centos 4.1 and 4.0

Peter Farrow

peter at farrows.org
Mon Oct 3 15:43:12 UTC 2005

Centos 4.0 and 4.1 seem to have a memory leak somewhere and I can't find
out what is doing it.  I think it may be dovecot.

I have installed hundreds of Linux machines, centos/redhat/suse in the
past as firewalls and mail relays and use the same/similar  methodolgy
and config for each.

I have found that since Centos 4.0 and 4.1 came along machines that have
run well for years and months, suddenly and systematically start running
out of memory after a few weeks/months of uptime.

The symtpom is the load average goes up and up as the machine creeps
into swap usage and eventually the machine has to be rebooted....

this only happened with the introduction of Centos 4 and of course that
means Dovecot for the IMAP server....

hmmmm......

Anyone else seen this,

P.