[CentOS] Centos for SPARC- when?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Oct 4 13:56:08 UTC 2005

Quoting Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>:

> Just curious...why would you want to run CentOS on a sparc system
> instead of Slowlaris?  Or have I just answered my own question?  8-)

Probably for exactly the same reason one would run CentOS on an Intel box
instead of Solaris.  Now that Intel is becomming mainstream architecture for
Solaris (Sparc is slowly going away), and taken that Solaris is now absolutely
free (exacty the same price as CentOS) and it was announced they'd go open
source with it.  Anyhow, in Solaris 10 they fixed bunch of performance isues,
and there's some really cool new stuff too (dtrace and you get machine
virtualization by default).

I've been at Solaris 10 presentation held by Bryan Cantrill (senior staff
engineer in the Solaris kernel development group), and some of the stuff was
awesome.  Interesting thing about presentation was that it was done on
an AMD64
laptop running x86_64 version of Solaris (well, actually, there's no separate
x86_64 version, if it finds 64-bit processor it'll use it).  Not a
single Sparc
in sight.