[CentOS] Centos for SPARC- when?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Oct 4 17:14:13 UTC 2005

Quoting Pasi Pirhonen <upi at iki.fi>:

> I do belive Aurora Project is making new installer on that FC3 based
> thing soon enought too. There seems to be some issues still left (and
> as i haven't even tried to generate installation media still, there
> might be somne major issues on that area).

Speaking of Aurora, last time I was playing with it, RAID on boot was not
supported.  So you couldn't have /boot on RAID1, and also attempting to do so
would trash either partition table or file system superblock (!?), depending
which order you attempt to do things.  I don't know if it was problem with
Aurora or with kernel.  Have you attempted doing anything like that in your
testing?

> I do have sparc32/UP version of some CentOS-4.1 level kernel running on
> dual-CPU SS20. It's so damn slow that it's not primary target.
> Userspace is 32bit and everything needed is provided as 32bit, but the
> initial goal is not including something that is crawling with 100Mhz
> range of CPU-speed - it's just too damn slow :)

Definitely.  If it takes more than 5 minuts of work to get sparc32 kernel
working, it is not worth it.  And even than it would be waste of disc space on
mirrors to store sparc32 distribution.  Its like having i386 (as in
boots on an
Intel 80386 or 80386SX processor) distribution.  Simply way too slow.

> I'd say personally that it is time to drop anything below ultra-sparc
> now and not trying to drag legacy behind. I was even considering making
> gcc use -mcpu=v8 as default, as noone really does have those sun4c sparcs
> anywehere doing anything reasonable. Then again, gcc might not been
> having too much testing for such target, so i dropped it.
>
> I did do build all the stuff and even installed it to be built against
> itself with this -mcpu=v8, but later on i did revert back to thise
> default -mcpu=v7 as one needs -mcpu=ultrasparc anyway for things
> starting to fly where it's needed (like glibc + openssl).

Is entire userland going to be 32-bit only, or there will be option to install
32bit or 64bit version of particular package (like on x86_64)?