[CentOS] Motherboards

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Oct 4 17:26:50 UTC 2005

Quoting Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>:

> Does anyone have any experience with Super-Micro brand motherboards
> // dual Xeon cpu's?  Had to swap out my Tyan piece of junk and going
> back with the S-M board.  I believe it has similar north/southbridge
> chips on it -- at least they are the intel MCH ICH5R and PXH plus the
> 82546GB.  One area that the Tyan board was seriously lacking in was
> in the hardware monitoring department.  The S-M board uses a winbond
> 83627HF chip.  Another area I'm wondering about is with the SATA
> controller.  Supposedly the ICH5R supports Raid 0, 1, and JBOD's, but
> does CentOS handle the sata raid without difficulty?

I have some.  They work nicely and reliably.  Haven't attempted to use hw
monitoring features (I guess you mean monitoring CPU temp, fan speed, and such
stuff?).  The on-board RAID is fake-RAID.  Pretend it is not there.
Simply use
Linux native software RAID drivers.  Some of those motherboards have slot for
optional zero-channel RAID card.  If you get such motherboard and buy the
optional card, that card is actually Adaptec I2O hardware RAID card, and it
works nicely.