[CentOS] intel dual core processors and new kernel packages

Aleksandar Milivojevic

alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Oct 5 16:53:45 UTC 2005

I've just got bunch of RHEL4 erratas (looks like U2 is out).  Looking at the
kernel errata (kernel-2.6.9-22.EL), one of the things in list of new features
is "Intel dual core support".

What does this exactly means?  Does it mean if I have dual core pentium
processor and use older kernel that it will use only one core, and I need newer
kernel to use both cores?  Or is it only something cosmetical (like updated
output for /proc/cpuinfo)?  Looking at the bug 167412, it looks more like the
later.  Anybody outthere running Pentium D or Pentium extreme with 2.6.9-11.EL?