[CentOS] segmentation fault

Cameron Showalter

cameron at gwschool.com
Thu Oct 6 00:07:28 UTC 2005

greetings,
running Centos 4.1 i386 on a poweredge 1800, will be trying x86_64
tomorrow since apparently the processors are EM64.   anyhow, I'm having
issues with this unit producing segmentation faults on practically
everything.   this is not an issue just with Centos 4.x, but also RHEL
3.  so I resorted to RH9, but had other issues with hardware drivers.

Today, I installed OS and everything went smoothly, to a point.  this
server will ultimately be used for a point of sale application called
counterpoint.

What I did was install the app (worked great), installed an sql
interface to the db (worked great).  added some data to the db and
posted sales.   This is where I have the continual problems with linux.
as soon it starts the posting, in another windows I did a ps -ef and got
Segmentation fault, dmesg produces the same error.   top still works,
but thats about it.  now, from experience, I know that if I reboot the
system - I'll get many errors and segmenation faults and then when the
login comes back up where the name of the server is will be () login:

I'm guessing there is going to be no way around reinstalling this box,
but I trying to remain hopeful that there is a better solution.

thanks.
cameron