[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4 - Solved

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:15:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 10:56, John Hinton wrote:

> Got some side questions.... Does this system have the ability to record
> HDTV?

I don't think anything you can buy for a PC will record HDTV from cable
systems - at least in the US.

> This sounds like a great
> alternative to the $800 dvr/hdtv receivers which seems to now come with
> a $5 per month 'dvr fee'? Where does the $5 go? Why does it exist?

In the cable company case, the fee is usually a rental instead of
having to buy the $800 box yourself.  Over the air/satellite systems
are different and you might have to buy the box up front.

> Anyway,
> I'm feeling like I'm being taken for a ride... HDTV is the future... why
> can they charge more for HDTV service at all?

Bandwidth is much higher for HD.

>  It is a federal
> 'standard'. All broadcast some day will be in HDTV.

Digital is a standard and planned requirement considered necessary for
bandwidth reduction. HD resolution is not.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com