[CentOS] Clarification

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Fri Oct 7 15:30:55 UTC 2005

List,

    Being pretty new to CentOS and such, can someone answer a couple of
questions about yum and up2date?  I think I got the basic info, but I'm
a bit confused about what does what.

    I configured yum to use the dag repo (I think) but now and then, I
get the red circle from up2date stuff on the upper menubar.  I have been
using the up2date function to grab the latest bits when indicated
something is available.  I don't have yum running nightly as a cron job
either.  Now, what is the difference in using the up2date vs. yum?
Should I be using yum exclusively to do updates, and if so, how does it
know there are updates available?  Are the files coming from the RH
update site the same as would be avaliable via yum?

    Sorry if this is a newbie question, but while the machine is down
waiting on the new mobo, I figured I could do a little brushing up on
things I don't fully understand.

Thanks..

--
Snowman