[CentOS] Compile error

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Oct 10 21:11:11 UTC 2005

A bit off topic, but having trouble again with the 64-bit libs when
trying to compile this short fortran code to build a shared object.  Can
anyone offer an explaination of what is meant by the relocation bit, and
how to fix it?  I've tried the -fPIC, but apparently I either didn't
have it in the right place or it does not work.  Be glad to take this
offline if somone could help me. Here's the output from the compile....

  Hostid: PGI=003048E02E69493B247282
 fortran routine compiled
 create shared library...
/usr/bin/ld: wrf_user_fortran_util_0.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against
`a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
wrf_user_fortran_util_0.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
 error in load, error exit