[CentOS] Can't access files at localhost

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 13 14:30:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 23:17 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> It turns out that the reason I couldn't access files at localhost was
> because the httpd service was not started. I've started it, and I can
> access a test file that is in the /var/www/html directory.
> However, the directory /var/www/html/web directory, which is a symlink
> to /home/dave/web can not be accessed. Any file within that directory
> that I try to access, says that I do not have permission to access that
> file.
> I tried changing the permissions on both the web symlink and the source
> directory to 777, but that had no effect.
> Why am I not able to access this directory via my local apache server?
1 - permissions for user apache to access directory.

ls -ld /home
ls -ld /home/dave
ls -ld /home/dave/web

does user apache have ability to descend? _rwxr_xr_x
this is the significant bit   ---------------------|

2 - selinux ?

ps - changing permissions of a link is pointless, the permissions are
derived for the original file

believed to be clean.