[CentOS] Can't access files at localhost

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 13 17:22:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 10:10 -0700, Steven Vishoot wrote:

> Wasnt that mentioned a while back about the permission
> on the directory.
---
possibly
---
> Secondly like said before isnt
> apache seen as an other user?
---
on fedora/rhel/centos system the packaging creates user and group apache
and that is the user/group by default that is serving web pages
---
>  If it is in some (like
> users) other group wouldnt that be a big no no since
> that would be a security risk? correct me if i am
> totally wrong on this assumption.
---
of course - if /home/dave is octal 0700 (_rwx______) then no one but the
user dave who owns the system can descend into the folder.

if you 'chmod o+x /home/dave' it becomes octal 0701 (_rwx_____x) and
then everyone can descend into the folders and even execute files that
they have permissions for. That means that files created with default
umask of 755 would be executable.

Do you have a better solution?

Craig

believed to be clean.